Being active outdoors is a great way to keep both body and mind fit and healthy. You don’t need to run a marathon or hike up a mountain to feel the benefits!
Exercising outdoors has been shown to have a greater impact on our mental and physical wellbeing than exercising indoors….. and its free!
Going for a stroll in the park, taking a ramble around a nature reserve, gardening or conservation volunteering, are all great ways to keep your body active and let your mind unwind.
Ideas for activities
If you have one hour, you could………….
- Join a friend for a sociable jog around your local green space
- Walk to work or school, finding a route away from busy roads
- Play in the park after school with the kids
- See if your local park has outdoor yoga or ti-chi classes
If you have half a day, you could……..
- Join a health walking group
- Take a bracing cliff walk along the Cleveland Way
- Visit a Tees Valley Wildlife Trust nature reserve
- Discover your locality by cycling
- Fly a kite on the beach with your family
If you have more time……….
- Create a vegetable and herb garden and grow your own food
- Become a volunteer for a community garden, park or nature reserve
- Join a local walking group and enjoy a different walk every week