This site was constructed in 1765 by John Liddel and it opened in 1766. The works closed due to bankruptcy in 1771. In 1772 the site was bought by George Colebrook and in 1774 the works manager was told to coat the unburnt clamp with clay, to protect it while the owner waited for the price of alum to rise and the works to become profitable again.
In 1775 the works were taken over by Ayton Alum Works Estate but the site may never have been worked again.
Did you know: The landowner, George Colebrook, tried to create an alum monopoly across the whole of the UK. He was trying to fix the price of alum (to keep them high) by paying owners of other works not to produce any alum. He failed in his attempt and ended up owing many people thousands of pounds.
Today this site, just below Captain Cooks Monument, is open access land but please be careful when exploring because there are many holes and uneven floors once off the main path. When at the site it is possible to make out the area for the steeping pits and the clamp, where shales were piled up ready to burn. The best time to visit is in winter, when the bracken has died back.
Please note that this location map is for information purposes only and does not indicate that the site has public access. Always get landowner permission before entering any site.