This site is also known as Goathland Banks, Thornhill and Scarth Alum Works.
The works started in about 1760 when the owner was Thomas Cockerill. In around 1765 he leased the land to Isaac Scarth and Richard Thornhill. In 1771 the works were paid £900 to stop production as part of an attempted monopoly. The works finally closed in 1805.
Today there is a house called Alum House (on private land) that stands near the site of the original alum house, built in around 1780 by John Harland.
Back to Places to Visit
Please note that this location map is for information purposes only and does not indicate that the site has public access. Always get landowner permission before entering any site.