Inside the Mulgrave Estate were several alum works, Asholmes, Holmes and Rock Hole.
Asholme opened in 1604 and closed in 1705. This was the largest of the three works near the castle. Holmes and Rock Hole both had a short working life of only a few years. It is probable that alum liquor from these sites were processed at Sandsend alum house.
Not much remains of the alum quarries as much of the estate was relandscaped int he 1890s by Humphrey Repton, to create a wild garden for Mulgrave Castle.
Please note that this location map is for information purposes only and does not indicate that the site has public access. Always get landowner permission before entering any site.