This works was one of the most successful alum works on the coast. It was started by Sir Edmund Sheffield, 1st Earl of Mulgrave in 1605 and ran until 1871.
The car park at the foot of Lythe Bank is on the site of the alum house for sandsend. the alum house processed alum liquor from all the Mulgrave Works as well as Sandsend.
Today there is a trail, available from Tourist Information Centres, to go around the quarries, and along the disused railway.
Please note that this location map is for information purposes only and does not indicate that the site has public access. Always get landowner permission before entering any site.