This works has had several phases of working, from around 1620-1640s, 1680-1720 and 1765-1775. The works are located at the upper end of Saltburn Gill and processing the liquor would have been difficult. It is not known where the alum house for this works was, but it might have been at Saltburn.
Today a footpath runs through the quarry remains but the area is now a woodland and there is not much to be seen from the path. While crossing the beck on the footbridge large amounts of burnt alum shale can be seen in the bank sides.
Back to Places to Visit
Please note that this location map is for information purposes only and does not indicate that the site has public access. Always get landowner permission before entering any site.