These works were also known as Stow Brow works. They opened in 1752. In 1800 John Cooke bought “16 cottages and sigular the allum works, pitts, ponds, recptors, allm rock or allum mine and all other quarries of stone ore, mines, minerals of what kind soever”.
In 1823 the land transfered to Sunderland Cooke, who became bankrupt in 1828 and the works shut.
Back to Places to Visit
Please note that this location map is for information purposes only and does not indicate that the site has public access. Always get landowner permission before entering any site.